Revelation 7:2 - Then I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea
Revelation 7:3 - saying, Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.
The upcoming trumpet judgments pertain to the Roman earth, the sea and the trees, so before God sends army after army against the Roman Empire, He is sealing His people so that they are not harmed.
To know the Seal of God, check out Seal of God
Revelation 7:4 - And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed
Revelation 7:5 - of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed
Revelation 7:6 - of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed;
Revelation 7:7 - of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed;
Revelation 7:8 - of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.
In God's plan, 12 is the number for government as observed in 12 tribes and 12 apostles.
- 144 is the measurement, in cubits, of the wall of New Jerusalem shown by the angel in Rev 21:17
- 144 is the twelfth Fibonacci number, and the largest one to also be a square.
- It is a sqaure of 12 ie. 12 X 12 = 144
- It is an Abundant number: In number theory, an abundant number or excessive number is a number for which the sum of its proper divisors is greater than the number itself. The integer 12 is the first abundant number. Its proper divisors are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 for a total of 16. Sum of the dividers of 144: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 9 + 12 + 16 + 18 + 24 + 36 + 48 + 72 = 259
Revelations 21:17 - Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel.
Revelation 14:4 - These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
144,000 are called the Firstfruits unto God and hence it is a symbolic number, reflecting the 12 apostles.
- Even though All the Tribes of the children of Israel (Revelation 7:4) was mentioned, the tribe of Dan is missing and Ephraim is replaced by the name of Joseph for the tribes of Dan and Ephraim were the leaders of the Israelitish apostasy (Judges chapters 17 & 18), and the same were the patrons of the public idols in Dan and Bethel, in the time of the northern kingdom.
- These 144000 can't be Jews. They are ALL Christians as:
- Not All Tribes were named in this list: Dan & Ephraim are missing
- These 140000 were sealed at the end of the 6th Seal which is part of the Christian era.
- Since 10 Northern tribes were lost in the Assyrian Captivity and they had not returned to Israel to this day, this 144,000 can't have people from those 10 tribes.
- There is an allusion to the passage in Ezekiel chapter 9, where those who are sighing and exclaiming for the abominations of Jerusalem, are sealed by an angel, that they might not sustain equal destruction with the impious and reprobate, from those who were to smite them.
- When the Roman empire was desolated and destroyed, to such an extent that its ancient population being nearly extinct; yet that the Church, in the very same place, in the midst of these evils, and while, the world was falling into ruin, should still endure while idolatrous worship was defiling the whole of Christianity, should nevertheless nourish in its bosom an undefiled assembly of saints (144,000). Of such importance was it to have been protected by the seal of God.
- The Christian church, secured by the Seal of God, is figured under the type of Israel tribes, the 12 apostles aptly corresponding with the 12 tribes of Israel.
- To have the number of the beast signifies being of the people or followers of the beast. So, to bear the number of the apostles, signifies being the legitimate offspring of the apostles.
- The 144,000 are called virgins (Rev 14:4), and are praised on that account, because they had not defiled themselves with meretricious embraces. They coincide, therefore, with the meretricious times of the Babylonian harlot, with whom the kings and inhabitants of theearth committed fornication.
- The gift of Baptism, by which we solemnly profess faith to the Lamb, and the Father, and by which we receive their name, and are called Christians, is the Lord's seal. We bear the immortal laver on our foreheads; when the demons see it they tremble. God's seal on Christians is the Royal Mark, the Mark of the Redeemer. This seal may be cancelled or obliterated by idolatry and backsliding.
- When, upon our entering into the water (baptism), we profess the Christian faith, we call God to witness by our declaration, that we have renounced the devil, and his pomps, and his demons. The chief and principal instance in which the devil, and his pomps, and his angels, are to be understood by Idol Worship.
- Revelation 14:5 - And in their mouth was found no guile.
- 144,000 is the perfect representation of the Church (New Jerusalem).
In truth, all idolatry is lying, since it worships for God what is not God. Apostle Paul write in Romans.
Romans 1:25 - Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Amos 2:4 - Their lies caused them to err, after the which their fathers have walked.
Isaiah 28:15 - For we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves.
Jeremiah 16:19-20 - Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. Shall a man make gods unto himself, and they are no gods?
Revelation 21:8 - ...Idolaters and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Revelation 21:27 - But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.
Zephaniah 3:13 - The remnant of Israel (Church) shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies;
The 144,000 sealed at the end of 6th Seal are Christians, who would escape the FOUR WINDS (wars and commotions) with help of God's seal (ownership) on them.